Mastering Work Ethic in Soccer
How hard do you work in games?
How much do you push in practice?
How much better could you play in games if you push yourself to the limits in practice?
You must up the intensity and focus in practice to reach the next level. Pushing your limits and focusing are two mental skills of all elite athletes.
The Impact of Mental Factors on Confidence and Performance
- Training Intensity – When you are confident, you will push yourself in practice, and, as a result of being highly conditioned, you will play with more confidence in games. This loop becomes a positive habit. You will have a competitive edge late in games. When every player starts to wear down, you will have the mental toughness to continue to push and outwork your opponents.
- Skill Development – When you are laser focused in practice and learn the minute details of the game, you will feel confident on the field, knowing you have tended to all aspects of your game.
- Competitiveness – When you compete in practice against your teammates, chasing down runaway balls, battling for positioning on corner kicks, playing aggressive defense, and racing teammates during sprints, you gain a significant competitive edge in games. You will have the belief that no one can outwork you, and you will take more risks on the field because you are confident in your ability to be successful.
Practice intensity was the theme for Tottenham Hotspur’s preseason.
Tottenham full-back, Matt Doherty, stated manager Antonio Conte’s training pushed players to their max mentally and physically.
Doherty felt it was the most challenging preseason he’s ever had in his career and attributes his peak physical condition to the intense training sessions.
DOHERTY: “I don’t know if there will be any teams fitter than us… You get a great satisfaction once the [training] session is over. Your mind has been tortured in the middle of it, but when it’s done, you feel proud, and you go to bed at nighttime thinking, ‘yeah, I’ve worked hard today.’”
Even more valuable is the mental toughness gained from such challenging training.
DOHERTY: “You’re just thinking, ‘don’t quit.’ Even if you crawl over the line or you have to jog or walk towards the end. It’s that determination the manager has instilled in us to keep going and never quit.”
With each challenge you overcome, you build mental toughness. Every time you put yourself to the test, you further condition your body and mind.
If you have the mindset that nothing can beat you, then next-level performance becomes realistic and attainable.
Tip for Pushing in Training Sessions
Pushing when you are tired in training builds mental toughness, a mental skill of elite athletes. Towards the end of training sessions, “This is the time when I build mental toughness.”
This strategy will keep you going when you want to step off the gas pedal.
Resources for Athletes, Coach, and Sports Parents
- Learn more about Soccer Psychology Tips and Strategies
- Download our a FREE Mental Toughness Report
- Read our Sports Psychology Articles
- Check out our Sports Psychology Audio Programs
- Subscribe to The Sports Psychology Podcast on iTunes
- Subscribe to The Sports Psychology Podcast on Spotify
Download a free sports psychology report to improve your mental game!
Learn more about our one-on-one mental game coaching.
Boost Your Confidence in Sports
Can you experience yourself right now walking out onto the court, diamond, course, or playing field with complete conviction in your ability and unwavering confidence beaming like a bright light? Imagine feeling dominant, positive with only confident thoughts, and ready to take control of the game.
You can learn how to think like a champion and have ultimate self-confidence just like the pros. It’s not hard or impossible to achieve – I help athletes reach their goals every day and you, too, can learn the same strategies I teach to my students who pay me well over $1000 per day for personal coaching.
Do you prefer confident and in control or doubt and helplessness? I thought so. You can empower yourself to take action and I have the mental strategies to help unlock your confidence and instill confidence-enhancing thoughts – so you can be in control with greater levels of confidence – consistently.
Leave a Reply