What Holds Back Your Performance?
The first step to gaining maximum composure is to identify the mental breakdowns that cause you to become unraveled or lose emotional control in the big game or when under pressure. If a soccer player’s mental game foundation is weak, emotional composure will not be ideal.
For example, a soccer player with very high expectations for his performance is likely to become easily frustrated, lose control emotionally, when he believes that those expectations are not being met.
Below is a list of the top 8 mental errors that can hamper your composure.
Top Mental Game Breakdowns that Lead to Reduced Composure
1. Perfectionism — When you don’t perform perfectly you lose composure because you become frustrated and then focus too much on your mistakes instead of the tasks needed to perform well for the current play.
2. Worrying too much about what others think — Worrying too much or mind reading into how you think others may judge you distracts you from your performance. You lose composure because you are too concerned with how others may perceive your performance.
3. Irrational Beliefs – Irrational beliefs cause you to stay stuck in old, ineffective patterns of behavior.
4. Fear of Failure – Fear is based on your intense need to win and causes you to worry too much about losing or failing. This can lead to you playing defensive and tentative instead of composed and free.
5. Doubt and Lack of Composure – This happens when you doubt your abilities and undermine your confidence. Without full confidence (for more information on Confidence, see Soccer Confidence, which is the first soccer specific mental training workbook and CD program), you are prone to lose composure and get upset.
6. Comfort Zones – This is an expectation about your performance that limits your potential. The comfort zone keeps you stuck in a performance zone or scoring barrier when you do not risk beyond your own comfort zone.
7. Intimidation – When you focus too much on the strengths of your opponents, you have the opportunity to become self-intimidated. And when intimidated, you worry too much about or focus too much on your opponents, especially if they are doing well in competition.
8. Dwelling on Errors – When you get too caught up in mistakes and dwell them, you’ll get frustrated and lose emotional control, which will not help you stay composed after errors.
How Can You Overcome These Barriers?
Successful soccer players work hard on their mental game and have learned how to stay confident, composed, and focused under pressure. We’ve created “Soccer Confidence” to help you do this. Read more:
Soccer Confidence: Mental Toughness Strategies for a Competitive Edge
Hey, if you enjoy reading our mental game tips, please forward this link to other soccer players, coaches, or parents who would appreciate it.
Learn Mental Game Secrets to Soccer Confidence!
Does your confidence seem to disappear when you go from practice to games and don’t know why? Do you get nervous and anxious in big games or when you are under a ton of pressure? Do you get so frustrated when you make a bad pass which causes your confidence to sink?
Check out Soccer Confidence: Mental Toughness Strategies For a Competitive Edge
Learn proven strategies to improve focus, composure and confidence so you can perform at your peak in games!
- Players: Get the mental edge by learning how to take control of your confidence, mentally prepare for games and perform with composure under pressure.
- Trainers: Learn how to give your students the mental game advantage.
- Coaches: Boost your team’s confidence using simple proven mental strategies.
- Parents: Help boost your soccer player’s confidence. Don’t let their mind hold them back any longer.
Soccer Confidence: Mental Toughness Strategies For a Competitive Edge
What are soccer confidence customers saying?
“Our son plays academy level soccer. Jaki taught him how to focus on goals for each game and practice and understand that mistakes are necessary to grow as a player, and helped his perfectionism. We saw a noticeable difference within one month with improvement each month thereafter. He was more confident, happy, and was having fun again at soccer.”
~Linda, Ryan’s Mother
“Dr. Cohn, Michelle had the best weekend of soccer she has ever played. She was relaxed, did not get frustrated with herself or teammates, and never once ‘shut down.’ Numerous parents noticed a difference in her composure and attitude. Thanks again for EVERYTHING…Michelle is in a very good place right now!”
~Diana, Michelle’s Mother
Do You Make Any of These ‘Costly’ Mental Game Mistakes?
Download our FREE soccer psychology report and discover if you make any of these ‘costly’ mental game mistakes that can block your success.
- How your soccer mind can be your best or worst asset on the field.
- How frustration and dwelling are your worst enemy.
- If you are using your soccer mindset effectively before games.
- Learn the important mental game of soccer skills you need to master to boost your confidence and performance.
7 ‘Costly’ Mental Game Mistakes That Block Soccer Players’ Success
What are soccer psychology subscribers saying?
“I have enjoyed and benefited from your emails over the past year or two. I have been a player, parent, and coach in soccer over the past 40 years. Thanks for the assistance with the mental game resources.”
~Kyle Congleton, Soccer Coach and Parent
“We try and spend 20 to 30 minutes a day working on the mental aspects of the game. My daughter is really enjoying it and feels it has helped and I know it has worked for her mother and I. I think you need to open a branch up here in Detroit, Michigan because there are a lot of parents and kids up here that need this information. Keep up the good work!”
~Scott Burgess, Soccer Parent
Mental Game Coaching for Soccer Players
Master mental game coach Dr. Patrick Cohn can help you overcome your mental game issues with personal coaching.
You can work with Dr. Patrick Cohn himself in Orlando, Florida or via Skype, FaceTime, or telephone. Call us toll free at 888-742-7225 or contact us for more information about the different coaching programs we offer!
We look forward to helping you improve your mental toughness!
Leave a Reply