How Mental Training Can Improve Soccer Performance
Many soccer players are confused about the role of soccer psychology and how mental training can improve your performance. The goal of soccer psychology is to help soccer players and teams perform their best by improving mental skills that help athletes excel in sports.
Soccer Psychology is not about working with problem athletes or abnormal behavior.
Mental training or mental game coaching is the segment of sports psychology that concentrates specifically on coaching athletes on how to break through the mental barriers that keep them from performing up to their peak potential. Learning mental game strategies via mental game coaching helps to improve your overall performance by enhancing preparation and consistency.
A myth that most athletes maintain is the view that mental and physical aspects of soccer are separate.
Some athletes believe they must first master “perfect” technique or mechanics before they can improve their mental game, mindset, or mental skills. Our philosophy is that you cannot separate the mental from the physical when it comes to playing your best. Soccer psychology helps athletes develop confidence and focusing skills and is just as important as mastering the technical aspects of sport.
When is Soccer Psychology Needed?
- You are more relaxed and perform better in practice compared to games
- You become upset if your performance isn’t perfect
- You become distracted and anxious when others are watching
- You experience doubt about your ability to perform
- You are tense, feel anxious, or scared when you perform in competition
- You limit your performance with strict expectations (“I MUST score 2 goals today”)
- How you feel about yourself or your self-worth depends on your performance
- You lose focus during crunch-time, overtime, or penalty kicks
- After injury, even when you are fully recovered, you play hesitant and do not perform the way you did pre-injury
- You know you could play better if you had more confidence
How Can Soccer Psychology Be Useful?
- Improve focus and block out distractions
- Increase confidence and reduce doubts
- Learn how to move on from setbacks and errors
- Find the right zone of intensity during pregame warm-ups
- Help teams develop good chemistry, communication, and cohesion
- Create a healthy belief system and correct irrational thoughts
- Increase motivation and work ethic
- Help soccer players return to sport with confidence after an injury
- Learn how to enter the “zone” more and refocus
Want to learn more about soccer psychology strategies?
Start by downloading our free report titled 7 Mental Game Mistakes that Block Soccer Players’ Success
Do You Make Any of These ‘Costly’ Mental Game Mistakes?
Download our FREE soccer psychology report and discover if you make any of these ‘costly’ mental game mistakes that can block your success.
- How your soccer mind can be your best or worst asset on the field.
- How frustration and dwelling are your worst enemy.
- If you are using your soccer mindset effectively before games.
- Learn the important mental game of soccer skills you need to master to boost your confidence and performance.
What are soccer psychology subscribers saying?
“We try and spend 20 to 30 minutes a day working on the mental aspects of the game. My daughter is really enjoying it and feels it has helped and I know it has worked for her mother and I. I think you need to open a branch up here in Detroit, Michigan because there are a lot of parents and kids up here that need this information. Keep up the good work!”
~Scott Burgess, Soccer Parent
Learn Mental Game Secrets to Soccer Confidence!
Does your confidence seem to disappear when you go from practice to games and don’t know why? Do you get nervous and anxious in big games or when you are under a ton of pressure? Do you get so frustrated when you make a bad pass which causes your confidence to sink?
Learn proven strategies to improve focus, composure and confidence so you can perform at your peak in games!
Players: Get the mental edge by learning how to take control of your confidence, mentally prepare for games and perform with composure under pressure.
Trainers: Learn how to give your students the mental game advantage.
Coaches: Boost your team’s confidence using simple proven mental strategies.
Parents: Help boost your soccer player’s confidence. Don’t let their mind hold them back any longer.
What are soccer confidence customers saying?
“Dr. Cohn, Michelle had the best weekend of soccer she has ever played. She was relaxed, did not get frustrated with herself or teammates, and never once ‘shut down.’ Numerous parents noticed a difference in her composure and attitude. Thanks again for EVERYTHING…Michelle is in a very good place right now!”
~Diana, Michelle’s Mother
Mental Game Coaching for Soccer Players
Master mental game coach Dr. Patrick Cohn can help you overcome your mental game issues with personal coaching.
You can work with Dr. Patrick Cohn himself in Orlando, Florida or via Skype, FaceTime, or telephone. Call us toll free at 888-742-7225 or contact us for more information about the different coaching programs we offer!
We look forward to helping you improve your mental toughness!
What are our mental coaching students saying?
“Our son plays academy level soccer. Jaki taught him how to focus on mini goals for each game and practice, how to lower his expectations and understand that mistakes are necessary to grow as a player, and helped his perfectionism. We saw a noticeable difference within one month with improvement each month thereafter. He was more confident, happy, and was having fun again at soccer. The confidence has helped him off the field as well to not have to be perfect in everything that he attempts. We can’t say enough about how grateful we are for Jaki!”
~Linda Black, Soccer Mom